Growth Hormone Side Effects: Do They Exist and What are They?

In this life it is good to weigh the costs and benefits of our actions before we decide which course to take. The benefits of growth hormone therapies are widely known (skin rejuvenation, weight loss, increased vigor and libido, to name a few) but there are also risks involved when using the injectable form of growth hormone.

In almost all cases, bad growth hormone side effects occur when clients seek unregulated treatments or ignore the advice of their physicians. By increasing the prescribed dosage over a long period of time, or by injecting it at a young age when the body is still naturally producing ample levels of Growth Hormone, one greatly increases the chances of experiencing negative side effects. Typically, growth hormone production in the body begins a gradual diminishing process after the age of 21.

Here is a list of the most common concerns:

  • Because of its ability to spur cell growth, health officials have speculated that an excess of growth hormone can inadvertently spur the growth of cancerous cells already present in the body
  • Due to its water-retention effects, high doses of growth hormone can lead to edema, aching joints, and carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes are other possible negative side effects from an overabundance of growth hormone
  • Acromegaly is another condition that is often related to growth hormone therapy although according to Dr. Ronald Klatz in his book Grow Young with HGH, “Acromegaly is not a side effect of growth hormone use. It is a direct effect of deliberate and continuous overdosing” (1997; p.287).

Responsible use can greatly minimize the risks involved with growth hormone therapy. Certainly those with Growth Hormone deficiency (i.e. people over the age of 35-40) have the potential to experience the amazing benefits that growth hormone therapies can provide. So weigh the costs and benefits and decide for yourself if you would be comfortable with the injectable form of growth hormone, then seek a qualified physician who specializes in this area.